Monday, June 16, 2008

Wake by Lisa McMann

Age Level: Teen

Format: Book

 

Seventeen-year-old Janie lives with a secret, something that she can never tell anyone.  When you dream, you’re not really alone.  She gets sucked into dreams, watching, first hand, the falling dreams, sex-crazed dreams, and, unfortunately, nightmares.   

 

Janie believes that she’s cursed with this ability that she doesn’t want, and cannot control.  She hates it.  She lives on the fringe, keeping her secret from everyone.  But, someone notices that there’s something going on . . . and then Janie gets sucked into a twisted nightmare.  One that chills her to the bone because this time, rather than just watching, she’s also a participant.

 

I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this book.  I figured that this would be the usual sci-fi/fantasy-ish book, but it was so much more.  Janie is very real, very grounded.  I felt like she could have been someone that I went to school with, maybe someone who I passed in the halls and paid no attention to.  In this book, you are transported into her head.  You know her thoughts; you know how much she simply wants to be able to sleep at night without falling into dreams.  And you know how much she simply wants to graduate, go on to college, and make something of herself.

 

It may take awhile for you to get used to the sparseness of the writing style, and there are major twists in this book . . . some are more believable that others.  But the entire book leaves you wanting more, and it sets you up for more.  Will there be sequels?  I hope so.  I want to learn more about Janie and some of the other people that you meet in this novel.  I know you will too.

 

Reviewed by Sara.

No comments: