Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Slamming Open the Door by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno

Age Level: Adult
Format: Book

After reading the first few poems in this book, I knew I would have to read them all before I would be able to set it down again. This is an amazingly, heartbreakingly honest glimpse into the pain of a mother grieving for her murdered daughter.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I picked up this book. The titles and the few lines that I read as I flipped through it caught my attention and drew me into an unforgettable experience. The author truly grabbed my heart as I lost myself in the raw emotion of her prose. Slamming Open the Door did just as the title suggests.

I was totally swept away by this book. I highly recommend it, even if you are not that interested in poetry. This was more that simply a book of poems. Slamming Open the Door is about pain, heartbreak, and loss; in short, this is a small volume of humanity.

Reviewed by Lisa

No comments: