Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Age Level: Teen
Format: Book

Every time I talk about SHIVER I get chills. Wait, was that sentence incredibly cheesy? Yes! Did I mean every word of it? Yes! Should you read SHIVER? Yes!!! Oh, you would like to know why other than the fact that I practically just begged you to.

SHIVER, the first in a planned trilogy, is Grace and Sam’s story. As a child Grace was attacked by a pack of wolves. Ever since then she has been enamored by the wolves residing in the woods beyond her backyard. One wolf, her wolf, the one with yellow eyes, in particular.

Sam, the boy with yellow eyes, is sensitive to the temperature. When the weather starts to change so does he. During the summer months he is human and in the winter a wolf. Yes, the same wolf that silently lingers at the edge of Grace’s yard. Until one day due to unusual circumstances Sam finds himself injured, human, and naked on Grace’s back porch... And no way am I going to spoil the rest for you by telling you what happens next.

Told from two alternating points of view SHIVER is a beautiful love story that will simply break your heart. Stiefvater’s writing is magically lyrical and wonderfully descriptive in a way that the characters and events feel real. Plus, the print is blue! Blue, people! Not every book black, but blue! If that’s not enough to spark your interest I’m not sure what will.

Gorgeous cover and fun print aside SHIVER is a novel you’ll want to read, reread, and recommend to all your friends. Not only is it one of my absolute favorites, but also a New York Times Bestseller. Go, read SHIVER, and join me in my great anticipation for its upcoming sequels LINGER and FOREVER!

I award SHIVER five plus snowflakes (instead of stars).

Reviewed by Kaila

1 comment:

seenbutunseen said...

A truly wonderful book! Terrific characters and an unusual and compelling love story.
Bravo Maggie Stiefvater!!

Thanks for the review :)